G4 dual 1.25 or G5 1.6?

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Tue Dec 30 13:40:05 PST 2003

I am looking at upgrading a workstation for a small newspaper
workgroup. I use a program called Mutli-Ad Creator, which runs under
MacOS X and is similar in function to InDesign and QuarkXpress, and is
a popular for advertising design among newspapers and other print
media. I also use Photoshop quite a bit for processing digital pictures
for ads, as well scanning advertiser logos. I also use FileMaker to
manage circulation and as a simple ad tracker. Finally, I'm using
Acrobat 6 Pro to distill our completed product to PDFs to send to our
press department in a nearby city. My current workstation is a single
G4 1.25Ghz running MacOS X 10.3.2, which someone will get as a
hand-me-down.

Both the G4 1.25Ghz DP and the G5 1.6Ghz are within my budget. Which
would be better, based on my uses as described above? It is my
understanding based on reviews and specs that I've read, that for most
things, the slowest G5 is still faster than the dual G4 1.25/1.42,
simply because of its faster system architecture, is this a correct
assumption? Configured with the same HD and Optical drives, the dual G4
1.25 and the G5 1.6 are basically the same price. Are there any
circumstances where the dual G4 would be better suited?

Joe