[G4] What online venders do you trust? - RAM

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 16:52:27 PST 2003

>From reading the warranty papers that came with my three Macs, I have decided that the Apple warranty applies to "Apple" approved RAM chips if you install the chips yourself. These chips will cost you about double the normal retail price because they come from Apple.

I cannot determine, with any certainty, from the papers whether a "third-party" RAM chip would violate the Apple warranty or not. I can tell you that certain machines will not accept "strange" RAM chips after the firmware update has been performed on them.

My Gigabit Ethernet G4 refused to recognize one (1) of my 256Mb chips after I did the firmware update and I had to search through all my 256Mb chips to find a replacement that would be recognized.

All my Macs are so old that the warranties have long since expired and I never call Apple for hardware support for them any more. Maybe next year Santa will bring a G? to my house, but I'm not holding my breath.

My $.02 worth - Buy third party RAM, install it yourself, save up lots of money, and buy a G5 DP when it's on sale with extra RAM included (at least 1Gb).