Mandrake 8.2 onto a G-4 questions from a complete newbie to linux

cowinacape cowinacape at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 6 02:15:16 PST 2003

Howdy,

 I have down loaded two disk images from the mandrake linux web site, (both
are in iso format) well for the life of me, I can not seem to boot from the
images or copies I have made of the disks, I am assuming there is something
I have done wrong in trying to get from the iso format to something useable.

 I used toast 5.0.2 to try and simply  and mount the iso images, and then
burn then to disk (cd) but that doesn't seemed to of worked. I can't boot
from the cd's using the "C" key at start up, or buy going through the
cmd+opt+O+F key command into the firmware (firmaware says it can boot, or
find the disk I don't remember now).

 This isn't a particularly life threatening situation, I just wanted to take
some time and see what this linux stuff was all about, but here I am two
hours into it with steam starting to come out of my ears :), and I can't
even get a disk that I can boot and install off of, so...if anyone has an
idea they'd like to share, as to how to create a bootable disk from these
iso formatted ones, I am all ears.

Thanks
Dan