[G4] G4 with 9.2.2 vs Slackware

Lee ratman at cq.net
Fri Feb 7 14:13:37 PST 2003

On Friday, Feb 7, 2003, at 15:19 US/Central, Shelley Huston wrote:

> A local ISP supposedly will have DSL available for us in April - wish
> wish.  I'm trying their dialup service but it doesn't work with my old
> 450 G4 with 9.2.2.  They are running Slackware on Linux.  I can login.
>  I can get all my email (from myepath.com and earthlink.net as well as
> theirs - mdvl.net) once.  I can access maybe one or two websites.
> Then their server doesn't seem to allow me to get past the local
> connection.  I get Domain Name errors on my other accounts and Server
> can't be found on MSIE 5.1.6.  They, of course, know nothing about
> Macs tho they say they have some clients happily running versions of
> 8.n.  Cable and DSL plus, of course, satellite access are not

Do you have a domain name server listing in your TCP/IP Control panel
for your connection? That sounds like what the problem is. If, when you
are connected, you put http://17.254.3.183 in your browser, and it goes
to apple.com. Then that is probably your problem. If that doesn't work,
then you might need to put in a router address in addition to the DNS
listing.

BTW, I ran slackware when I was an ISP, and didn't have any trouble
supporting multiple OS's from Mac, to Windows, to Linux. As long as you
know where the control panel is, they can help walk you through the
setup.

Lee

Lee Wilmeth, Computer Consultant
1104 Cypress CT