New G4s for running VPC XP

David M. Ensteness denstene at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 05:43:11 PST 2003

> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:23:58 -0800
> Subject: [G4] New G4s for running VPC XP
> From: Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net>
>
> I'm setting up a LAN in our office. It's clear that some of the
> networked
> stuff we'll be running (patient scheduling software, for example, also
> paging software, possibly some electronic medical records) will be
> Windows
> based.
>
> I've played a bit with networking between Mac OS X and Windows XP; it's
> actually quite easy to set up with Jaguar. I'm wondering whether the
> extra
> L3 cache in the 1.42 dual processor G4s would compellingly accelerate
> the
> performance of Virtual PC. Anyone know?
>
> I have VPC6/Win Me on my Ti400 PB. VPC seems to slow down a LOT when
> the
> Virtual and real Windows machines are networked. Thus far, the
> performance
> of VPC has been adequate on my dual 1 Ghz G4.
>
> Jim Robertson

I am running a 733 G4 and VPC6 and Windows [98, 2K, XP Pro] are all
very usable. I think you answered your own question when you said the
performance is adequate on a 1GHz G4 - if that is true then consider
the fact that you will have 3x the resources using one of the new Macs.
In terms of network activity, I can not offer an opinion, I run 100%
Macintosh networks [with the exception of a NeXTstation].

David