[G4] X upgrade - Not happy

Rosenberger, Anthony B. (Tony) arr4 at cdc.gov
Fri Jan 3 06:24:25 PST 2003

I recently upgraded from 9 to jaguar on my G4 Sawtooth 450 (768 meg ram) and
I am not happy with the performance I am getting from it.  OS 9 ran so fast
on it, but x is rather slow.  I want to stay with X because I love the
stability, security, and look of X but don't know if I can live with the
performance.  I have tried system optimizer x, mox optimize, macjanitor,
moving the swap file to a different drive, increasing prority of programs I
use, etc...but I still cannot get it to perform anywhere near as fast as 9
did.  I understand that X has a lot more processes running, but this is
rediculous.  I don't understand how they can sell it as an upgrade for G3's
(B&W, imac, etc) because it has to be unbearably slow on them.  Do you guys
have any ideas on how to speed it up (unix commands, tweaks, etc)?  I went
out and bought an ATI radeon so I could use quartz extreme, and didn't
notice much of a difference.  I would like to tweak the services that I am
not using and disable them, but don't know which ones to turn off.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Also, please share your experiences and
opinions about OS X's performance on G3's and G4's that are not the brand
new fastest ones.  Thanks All.

T. Rosenberger