[G4] G4 upgrades on a beige G3 - scsi and printer help?

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 07:53:34 PST 2003

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 08:03 AM, Snoke Jay S NPRI wrote:

> All-
> 	I recently did a major upgrade to my beige G3 - a 500 MHz G4 zif, an
> Orange Micro USB/fireWire card, a Radeon 7000 ME video board, and more
> RAM.  I did the uprage a bit at a time and tested it at each step.  I
> then upgraded to Jaguar, and have been getting everything to work a
> bit at a time as well...but I have ran into the following problems:
>
> 	1.  I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 printer, and it is not seen by
> the system - I assume I need a new driver, and I've heard Epson is
> waaaay behind the curve in updating their drivers (I totally
> understand that since this is an older model there is no incentive for
> them to do so).  Are there any drivers out there worth looking at?
> Anyone have any experience with this?

It looks from Epson's web site that they have a driver for the 800N
ethernet version of this printer. Does yours have the ethernet card? I
have an 850N that works great with OS X (that also has no OS X serial
port driver) and I understand why you would want to keep the printer.
If the printer does not have the ethernet card you might try to pick
one up on eBay, which would then work with the updated driver.

> 	2.  The new OS doesn't see my SCSI hard drive as mountable.  Since I
> was thorough and backed up *all* my data before I started, I didn't
> lose any data, but it would be nice to be able to use it.  The system
> sees all SCSI devices on the motherboard SCSI bus, and will mount
> everything (including old Syquest drives and a SCSI ZIP drive)
> attached to it but that one drive.  I have used the OS X Disk Utility;
>  it sees the drive, and I reformatted it and updated drivers
> (including trying with/without OS 9 drivers) to no avail.  Anyone have
> any experience with this?

I'm afraid that I don't have much help for you on this one. I put my
IDE drives on a ATA-66 card and left my slow SCSI drives behind. SCSI
support on OS X is very hit-and-miss, so if you are planning on buying
a PCI SCSI adapter, make sure you find out if it is explicitly
supported under OS X.