[G4] X upgrade - Not happy

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 09:12:50 PST 2003

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 09:24  AM, Rosenberger, Anthony B.
(Tony) wrote:

> I recently upgraded from 9 to jaguar on my G4 Sawtooth 450 (768 meg
> ram) and
> I am not happy with the performance I am getting from it.  OS 9 ran so
> fast
> on it, but x is rather slow.  I want to stay with X because I love the
> stability, security, and look of X but don't know if I can live with
> the
> performance.

>   I went
> out and bought an ATI radeon so I could use quartz extreme, and didn't
> notice much of a difference.

>  Also, please share your experiences and
> opinions about OS X's performance on G3's and G4's that are not the
> brand
> new fastest ones.  Thanks All.
I am running 10.2.3 on my old 350 G4 Sawtooth with 512 ram and while I
admit I notice somewhat slower Finder behaviors, it is not so slow that
it bothers me. Fact is I have come to love OSX so much, I just learn to
live with it. I have to boot into 9 occasionally to use Photoshop and
am always amazed at how fast everything is now (before I switched to X
I had only 256 ram and the original Western Digital HD) but I still
can't wait to get back to X. Right now it is stable as a rock, I never
reboot except when installing something that demands it, almost never
have any sort of crash and that is enough in itself to keep me with it.
There are mixed opinions but I happen to think the look of it is
beautiful too and 9 sometimes looks so dowdy now when going back to it.
My one big beef is that I too bought the new ATI video card to for 200
bucks because I just HAD to be able to use quartz extreme and I noticed
very little difference, my graphics were pretty great before. Some see
major improvements in speed after repairing disk permissions from the
disk utility application. Good luck.
Greg