Another kind of OSX Mail problem

Chuck Cox chuckcox at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 3 11:29:18 PST 2003

Hi Wappling,

Thanks for the tips and taking the time to send them.  I've checked them and
had others  verify settings as being correct.  Two interesting points:  I
found that the password for logging in was different from password for
network and e-mail.  Don't know if that contributed to problem but did make
them the same.  Also found out that in Network>Account Name, there needed to
be my email address and not the user name.  This enabled consistent dialup
and connection.  The initial problem remains:  Can receive e-mail, can't
send.  Isp server response suggests that I'm an outsider trying to get in.
Had discussions 3 different times each with ISP and Mac tech support.  No
closer to solution.  Each says the other is at fault.  Wondering if there is
any significance to difference between Network>Account Name and User in
Mail.  They are different.  Setting User in Mail to same as Account Name
results in error message 'not able to get mail'.  Resetting User to same as
that on a PC results in receiving e-mail.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Chuck