[G4] G4 upgrades on a beige G3 - scsi and printer help?

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Mon Jan 6 07:59:32 PST 2003

On 1/5/03 at 7:39 PM -0800, Jim Morris wrote:
>I followed this advice as I can't print to my old Stylus 600 now
>that I've upgraded from OS 9. This printer has been accessed through
>a USB hub for several years. After installing Ghostprint and
>Giimp-print, I can now add the 600 to the printer list and select
>it. Tried a test page out of Word X but, instead of printing the
>page, it starts churning out pages of what I guess is program code
>(%!PS-Adobe-3.0, %RBINumCopies, etc).
>
>Any suggestions for me?

Yes, don't use Word! ;-) I've never had that problem with my Stylus
600, Gimp-Print, and OS X, but I have it hooked directly to the
FW/USB combo PCI card in my Beige G3. Maybe the hub is interfering.
Try a direct connection. (Epson, and most printer makers, always
recommends against hubs for their printers.)

Also, maybe try a reinstall. The Gimp-Print install instructions are
pretty picky. At one point I changed a setting and lost all
communication with the printer. Had to do a reinstall to get it
working again.