[G4] Firewall

Joseph Ellis jellis295 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 14:27:44 PST 2003

On 1/8/03 4:41 PM, "Snoke Jay S NPRI" <SnokeJS at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil> wrote:

> can't help ya with that one, Ro.  right now, I'm using an ABS connected to my
> cable modem.  On the one desktop Mac connected to it via a small hub, I'm
> running X.2.3, so I'm not worried about it (but I *do* have WEP turned on
> *and* require wireless users on my network to be registered users!).
>
> if you are going to have a mixed network, I would absolutely recommend getting
> a firewall, but can not make a recommendation for one to consider.
>

>> I have Jag, but not always in it.  I switch back and
>> forth between it and 9.2.2.  So I guess I need a
>> firewall for 9.2.2, right?
>> My mac will be on a network with one pc.
>>

>> --- Snoke Jay S NPRI <SnokeJS at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil>
>> wrote:
>>> How about Jaguar? ;o)  it ships with most of the
>>> ports turned off, and is a good solution if you only
>>> have one computer connected to that cable modem...
>>> ymmv...
>>> Jay

If you plan on having more than one computer connected to your cable modem I
would recommend you consider getting a router to function as your firewall.
It then depends on what you want to hook up behind it. I have an older ABS
tied to mine so I can stay wireless with my laptop. My son has his HP PC
tied to it and MY G4 Quick Silver is on it. I'm using an Asante Friendlynet
4 port router. Configures via a browser. As the old Navy saying goes, works
great, fails safe, drains to the bilge!