Freezing Mouse

Gary Graf himself at garygraf.com
Fri Jan 10 17:43:17 PST 2003

I'd appreciate some help with a problem that's appeared out of the blue (or
ether). I have a G4/500 with OS 9.2.2 on the original hard drive and OS
10.2.3 on a second 80-gig drive. A week or so ago while in 9.2.2. (NOT
Classic) my MS IntelliPoint Explorer mouse froze (I've been using it for
several years without any trouble). I switched hub ports and everything
resumed per normal.

Today, the mouse froze again. Switching ports didn't help, nor did plugging
it directly into the G4 or the keyboard. Nor switching to an Apple mouse.
The mouse will resume working for a while after restarting, but eventually
freezes, the intervals or operating time steadily decreasing. I reset the
PRAM twice but that didn't seem to have any effect either.

The only thing I've done differently in the last few weeks is to revert from
an after-market extended keyboard to the Apple keyboard that came with the
G4. Had I gone the other way around, I'd be more inclined to expect a
problem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Gary