[G4] Please help an OSX Dummy

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Thu Jan 16 13:45:27 PST 2003

At 13:43 -0600 1/16/03, Richard A. Northouse wrote:
>A) I have a Power Mac G4 (currently using OS9.2.2, 733Mhz, 1.12Gb RAM,
>CD-RW, 38Gb ATA, 27Gb available).  Should I create a new partition for OSX?

I strongly recommend it if for no other reason than the ability to truly boot into OS 9 by setting the startup disk - er partition. Steve seems to want to do away with that. As of now OS neXt will use your existing 9.2 on whatever partition it resides to do "classic" mode.

>And then what data or files do I need to copy or transfer over to this new
>volume? Do I need to install OS9.2 also on this new partition?

No.

> How about all
>the internet stuff?

Should be no problem but the internet stuff changes so rapidly - . . .

>B) I also have a Beige Power Mac G3  (currently using OS9.2.2, 333Mhz, 448Mb
>RAM, CD-RW, 20Gb ATA (3 partitions - 8Mb,9Mb,2Mb), ROM Version $77D.40F2). I
>am trying to install OSX.2 on the first partition which is the 8Gb. I keep
>getting an error message that I have to install OSX on the first 8Gb of the
>drive -- which I thought I was doing???  What's up?

It needs to go in the first 8 GB (B means byte, b means bit) of a partition not of a disk. Is there anything on the partition now? I don't think the installer knows how to move things. You might need to empty the partition and put stuff back after you do the install.

I found it really smart to move all of my important stuff to an 8500 running OS 9 before experimenting with OS neXt on my G4. As of now most of my productivity remains on the 8500. The G4 seems to be just for playing around with shell scripts. Fun but not very productive of income.

Consider doing the same with your G3 for a while. 10.2.3 is worth learning but it will take a while and it's certainly not as user friendly as OS 9.

--
--> If you are presented a number as a percentage, and you do not clearly understand the numerator and the denominator involved, you are surely being lied to. <--