[G4] [OT] tax software preferences?

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 20:04:18 PST 2003

We have used TaxCut the last 3 years, and I highly recommend it.

  <rant> Intuit is getting so Mac hostile, I can hardly stand to use
Quicken. TurboTax has 3 or 4 different packages for Windows, with the
Basic going for $20 or less, which would be nice since my state of
Texas doesn't have state income tax, so I don't need the add-ons.
However, Intuit only sells the Deluxe $50 version for Mac, which has a
bunch of stuff I don't need or care about. Same thing with Quicken. I
can't believe that Apple is bundling QuickBooks with new PowerBooks. A
straight port of a 5 year-old abandoned program with hardly any new
features (certainly not nearly on par with the Windows version) and
Apple gives them top billing at the MacWorld keynote. Not to mention
that the new Quickbooks has an incompatible file format to both the old
Quickbooks Mac and Quickbooks Windows, so it's almost impossible to
share files with your accountant. What's the most incredible is that
this entire sorry state of affairs has transpired with Bill Campbell
(Intuit's Chairman) sitting on Apple's board. Oh, well, I'll climb down
from my soapbox now. </rant>