[G4] Classic startup

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Fri Jan 24 05:55:32 PST 2003

On 1/24/03 7:04 AM, "Anthony Howells" <ah at hobbit.ndo.co.uk> wrote:

> on 23/1/03 9:50 PM, Ramsey French at rammjet at bisnaga.com wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/03 4:15 PM, "Anthony Howells" <ah at hobbit.ndo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Can I force a carbon application to run in classic mode rather than under OS
>>> X?
>>
>> Do a "GetInfo" (Command-I or File menu -> GetInfo) and then check the "Open
>> in Classic environment" box.
>>
> Thanks - this has worked great for one app.
>
> But I also want to do this for Vuescan, as it runs ok with my film scanner
> on 9.1 on my old 9500, buts locks up under 10.2 with a 2906 scsi card on my
> G4 sawtooth. (except in the most basic 305dpi scan mode)
>
> Adaptec site says that 10.2 contains the required scsi driver?
>
> Vuescan doesn't have the classic option box in get info.

Here is a way to fire it up in Classic, but I'm not sure that Vuescan will
work in Classic.  Under OS9, software talks directly to the hardware.  Under
OSX, software talks to OSX which talks to the hardware.  Classic is a
process under OSX, so software is not permitted to talk directly to the
hardware.  That may make the OS9 app fail to work under Classic.  But try it
out and see.

To launch Vuescan in Classic, do this:

A) Hold down the Control key and click on the Vuescan icon.
B) Select "Show Package Contents"
C) Open the folder "Contents"
D) Open the folder "MacOSClassic"
E) Drag the "Vuescan" icon to the dock.  (I tried making an alias and that
wouldn't work.)
F) Click on the Vuescan icon in the dock.