DVD-RAM in a firewire case?

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Fri Jan 24 09:57:15 PST 2003

Can anyone report success using a 2.6 GB DVD-RAM drive (G4 AGP
original) in an external firewire  case?

I just upgraded to a DVD-R drive internally, and I thought that I had
heard of others successfully using their DVD-RAM drives in a firewire
case, but can't remember if these were only the 4.7 GB drives.

I have the Apple original 2.6 GB drive, and it works fine on the ATA
bus, but neither OS X or OS 9 will recognize it in a firewire case.

The firewire case (w/Oxford 911 bridge) is not at fault, it works
fine with either a Pioneer DVD-R drive or an IBM IDE drive.  I've
tried all the jumper settings on the DVD-RAM drive, I've tried
connecting it before and after powering it up, I've tried it before
and after inserting a disk.  No go in any combination.

Thanks,