[G4] Printing in Quickbooks 5

DILLOMAN at aol.com DILLOMAN at aol.com
Sun Jan 26 09:34:43 PST 2003

Tim, I don't think that you will find any new accounting programs that support printing MICR (Magnetic Image Character Recognition) encoding anymore, because of:
1) the rash of counterfeitting that was/is taking place
2) the MICR strip needs to be printed in magnetic ink for the bank's/fed's readers to work automatically (laser printers use magnetic toner/developer to transfer the image, but after the page goes through the fuser, it is , for the most part, demagnetized - unreadable to the MICR readers.)

I believe there are still some programs that will let you make your own checks, but I don't think the banks like it much when they have to manually input your account/routing numbers.  They will do this, but they may flag your account and ask you to have your checks professionally printed; i.e.: just have the MICR info & your Name/Company info printed - then let the accounting program do a "forms fill-in".

I hope this helps... I hope this is correct  :-)

tcstorm at earthlink.net writes:
> I want to print checks with routing and account numbers on them.  I have
> searched the documentation and the web and have come up blank.  I can print
> fine except the checks I print are uncashable...no routing and account
> numbers.  Is it possible to have Quickbooks do this?

- - -

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics
305 Wells Fargo Dr., Suite 4