Can't Access the Internet Via OS 10.2.3, But can via OS9.2.2

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 26 10:33:05 PST 2003

What could cause the loss of access to the internet in OS 10.2.3, but would not affect access through TCP/IP in OS 9.2.2? Was surfing the MacFixit Forums yesterday afternoon and all of a sudden lost access to the web (all three browsers) and to my adelphia email server. Could I retrieve mail from mac.com, either. The Network and AppleTalk preference settings are the same, before and after. Completely reinstalling 10.2 and updated it to 10.2.3, then reinstalled all my software that I have been using for the last six months. All my applications that don't need to access the web work fine. However, anything that need to access an external site (on line help, time servers, etc.), is unable to to link up. If I reboot in 9.2.2, TCP/IP connects to the same servers just fine. Tried trashing the com.apple.configlist.plist while booted in 9.2.2, but that did not help either.

This one has me stumped, and short about 24 hours of sleep. Anyone have any ideas? My G4/400 is connected to the cable modem via a MacSense MH-120 router, along with my son's two WinPCs running Everquest. Using WhatRoute 1.8.12 I can ping the local Adelphia gateway, and their mail server, but not their web IPs. When I try to trace, I can only reach the gateway.

Here's hoping that someone wiser than I has an idea what the cause is.

Mike

G4/400 AGP, PFG4-1000  processor upgrade, Radeon 8500, Grappler 906F & 930U SCSI cards; Yamaha 8424 CDRW; MacOS 9.2.2/10.2.3
--
Almost never pointless.