[G4] To buy or not to buy? This is my question....

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jul 2 20:41:28 PDT 2003

I don't know Canadian conversion rate but I bought the NEW SUMMER 2003
dual 1.25 w/2MB L3 cache that boots OS 9 last Tuesday for $1599 from
Small Dog. That is also the Apple's Store.com price when you custom
build from the single 1.25 w/1MB L3 cache for $1299 - only $300 US more
for the above dual.

ALERT ALERT WARNING ALERT WARNING WARNING ALERT ALERT ALERT  WARNING

NOT 1GHz.

BOGUS DEALER OFFER         	BOGUS DEALER OFFER          BOGUS DEALER
OFFER

1.25 GHz single w/1MB L3 cache $1299 US

OR

Dual 1.25 GHz w/2MB L3 cache on each processor $1599 US.

Do NOT let a dealer sell you one of their OLD non booting 9 1 GHz Macs
from earlier this year with only 1MB L3 cache. Apple has reverted to
last year's motherboard now only better than Feb-June 2003 for less
money.

IMHO G5 will NOT be August. It will be September for those who ordered
last Monday morning, October for others who ordered last week and
November if you haven't ordered yet or just did this week. My opinion
ONLY. Not Fact. Prediction. Guess. Wild imagination.

However, you might get around that long cue by camping out at an Apple
Retail Store for a week. ; ^ )

Adobe promised in the WWDC SteveNote that the Photoshop 64-bit update
will be delivered in August before the G5's are. The 64-bit updates are
trivial for developers to recompile with Apple's new super fast
re-compilers. So I wouldn't worry about much of a lag on that score.
It's Panther that may be late in coming to the G5.

kunga10 (AIM)

"iChat AV, The Killer App" <http://www.osx-zone.com>
"We're Looking At A Long Period of Labor 'til January"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"Verax MDD-FW800 Silence Kit Kills Almost All The Noise"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released" <http://www.ipod-zone.com>