[G4] To buy or not to buy? This is my question....

Vernon LeMoignan arrow at oanet.com
Thu Jul 3 12:10:41 PDT 2003

> This is a time when one has to be very careful a dealer is not dumping
> the early 2003 dual 1.25 GHz FW800 model with only 1 MB L3 cache per
> processor for MORE MONEY. I see this happening all over the internet
> mail order sites. No doubt it is happening at dealers too since this
> new price is below what the stores paid for their inferior dual 1.25
> models they are now stuck with.

I agree with you for the most part, but in canadian dollars the current
dual 1.25 (single upgraded to dual) on apple's site is $2249 vs
$2050 at his local dealer. the $2050 gives you FW 800 in exchange for
1MB L3 per processor instead of 2MB. In most benchmarks I've
seen there was little difference between 1MB L3 and 2Mb L3.

$2050 cdn  gets you : dual 1.25Ghz, 1MB L3 cache, FW 800, OS X boot only

$2249 cdn gets you :  dual 1.25 Ghz, 2MB L3, No FW 800, OS 9 and X

I Still think $2050 for a new Dual 1.25 is a good deal as long as you
don't need OS9 booting.

Vern.