Keyboards

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Tue Jul 8 06:44:42 PDT 2003

on 08/07/2003 15:05, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Does anyone have alternate keyboard recommendations?
> My Apple Pro that came with my G4 has died - just stopped
> working. I could bid on another one through ebay, but I'm also
> looking at other kinds, new or used. Logitech? I saw this "Elite
> Black" one that's cheaper than the Apple, but says it needs
> OS x, and I'm still on 9. Any suggestions?
>
> margrit

I can recommend the Adesso ergonomic keyboards. They have 2 models, the
Nu-Form and the Tru-Form. IIRC, the Tru-Form is available in USB, while the
Nu-Form is only available in ADB. I'm using a Nu-Form with a Griffin iMate
adapter and it works fine.
I really like the split keyboard layout, with the two halves angled slightly
inwards, which seems to be a much more natural position for your hands and
wrists. The keyboard has a nice wrist pad that is also designed to let your
fingers fall more naturally onto the keys - and I use the word "fall"
specifically, in that, as opposed to the widespread practice of using
built-in legs to tilt the keyboard UP from the back to front, it seems much
more natural to have your hands fall downwards from front to back. I just
don't think it's very natural, or comfortable, to bend your wrists upwards
when you want to type, so I find the Adesso keyboard very comfortable, very
natural, very ergonomic. I often have to type for 8 hours a day and I have
found that the Adesso keyboard makes a difference in avoiding pain and
stiffness. I've been using it for about 3 years now.

My particular setup is less than ideal, in that the Griffin adapter has to
be plugged directly into the computer and, as the keyboard has 2 ADB ports,
I have to plug the mouse into a USB hub (which seems to cause a glitch about
once a month or so). I also have to unplug the Griffin and keyboard before I
can shut down (if I try to shut down, the computer reboots). I have been
looking for a cheap USB Adesso, but I'm in Europe and shipping on keyboards
from the US is ridiculously expensive. Will try to find one on ebay, I
guess.

Good luck.

Chris