Problems With Browsers

Sharon Confer slconfer at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 08:35:30 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been using IE and AOL for a couple of years with no
real problems with either of them.  For the past three weeks
or so, every time I try to launch Internet Explorer 5.1 for
the Macintosh my computer crashes.  A similar thing is
happening when I try to use AOL's browser.  Although I can
launch AOL, and sometimes use some of features like keyword
without crashing, if I try to use AOL's browser my computer
crashes.  I have no problems using Netscape Communicator 4.8
and Netscape 7.02.

I've run Disk First Aid, Norton Disk Doctor, Disk Warrior
and TechTool Pro3, and they all say everything is okay with
my computer.  I've also reinstalled the software for AOL and
for Internet Explorer but that didn't help either, because I
still have problems with both of them crashing my computer.
I had virtual memory turned on (it was set to 641 MB), but
someone told me it might help if I turned it off.  I turned
it off, but unfortunately that didn't help either.

The only thing that I can think of that I installed recently
was the re-installation of RealPlayer because I was having
lots of problems with it.

So, I have two questions:

1.  Can anyone tell me what I should do to fix the browser
problems.
2.  Should I have virtual memory turned on or turned off?

Thanks, Sharon

G4/450
Mac OS 9.2.2
RAM 640 MB
Virtual Memory - Off
AOL (BYOA) - Mac Version 5.0 (Revision 19.36)
Internet Explorer for the Mac - Version 5.1.6