[G4] Replacing a combo drive in a G4 867 DP MDD with a superdrive.

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sun Jul 13 07:29:34 PDT 2003

I have a Pioneer DVR-103 in an external FW enclosure.  My G4
Quicksilver 800 MHz can read/write to it (e.g., via Toast), but it
does not recognize it as a Superdrive, so iDVD doesn't work with it,
and, in fact, when I updated my Jaguar and/or iLife, they would not
even think of loading iDVD or DVD Player.

On the other hand, I replaced its internal CD burner with a Pioneer
DVR-105, and that **IS** recognized as a Superdrive, and I can use
iDVD and DVD Player with it.  (I had to snarf DVD Player from the
installation disc with Pacifist to get the ball rolling.)

So, I think that the operative word is *internal* drive replacement.

--Steve