[G4] G4--prices?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jul 16 00:50:17 PDT 2003

Dear Thomas Lane,
Please don't take this personally. I was not referring to FW800 Macs
purchased between February and June. Although I would say that given
Apple's flip flop on model prices and features, it could be argued that
everyone like yourself did not get the best deal Apple has ever offered.

After Steve's historic speech of June 23rd 2003, Apple made an
unprecedented shift in the G4 line to that of last year's models with
radically lower prices.

"New" single 1.25 GHz w/1MB L3 cache MDD PMs are $1299 and dual 1.25
GHz w/2MB L3 cache MDD PMs are $1599. Both models boot OS 9. Apple did
a flip-flop on OS 9 booting. Both "new" models are based on 2002
motherboards.

You have FW800, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth. The "new" models do not.

You paid quite a premium for your single 1 GB FW800 - about the same as
the "new" dual 1.25 GHz PM and way more than the "new" single 1.25 GHz
model. Sorry to be the barer of such bad news. i though all of you knew
by now about this flip-flop in models and pricing since the G5
announcement.

kunga10 (AIM)

"iChat AV, The Killer App" <http://www.osx-zone.com>
"We're Looking At A Long Period of Labor 'til January"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"Verax MDD-FW800 Silence Kit Kills Almost All The Noise"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released" <http://www.ipod-zone.com>