[G4] FireWire CDRW/DVDRW

CJ Scaminaci halogenius at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 17 11:10:44 PDT 2003

On the 7200 It is quite tricky. On my 9500 there processor is on a
daughter card to begin with so if you put a new one in it is forced to
use it. With the 7200 it has the option of using two different
processors the on board, or the PCI one. XPostFacto forces it to use
the upgrade card. But when it forces it, it doesn't turn on the
Backside Cache. This you have to do with another one of the developers
applications. (Can't recall the name) But basically that turns on the
backside cache in MacOSX. The XPostFacto application itself runs in
MacOS 9 only. Although the new version for Panther will run under
MacOSX as well.  Heres a breakdown of how it works:

On Initial Install:
1.You select a target volume for the install.
2.Insert the MacOSX CD of your choice.
3.Set XPostFacto to target the volume you wish to install on and the CD
to install from.
4.Hit the restart button on XPostFacto. Once this is done XPostFacto
installs special drivers on the target volume allowing it to install
OSX. It also writes into the NVRAM (Non-Volatile RAM, this is where
such data as which volume to boot from are stored) this tells the
computer to boot from the MacOSX CD and override the machine ID
settings telling the installer that the machine is old.

Then On Regular Boot:
After the install is complete you restart to MacOS 9 for one last time.
When in 9:
1.Open XPostFacto and select you MacOSX volume for boot. When you hit
restart this time it installs a special version of the kernel and other
files allowing the machine to boot X regularly.
2.MacOSX boots up and viola! you have beaten Apple's old machine
lockout. Note that you only have to boot into 9 once to reset the NVRAM
for your MacOSX volume. After this it will always boot into X unless
you set the boot volume to 9 in the system preferences. But every time
you boot into 9, to get back to X you have to use XPostFacto and not
Apple's startup disk.

XPostFacto is really great and it's freeware! Although to get support
for it you should pay the 10$ and join the forum the developer runs.You
might want to check it out.
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

CJ