The Occasional Start up chime

Richard M. Kriss kriss at qsl.net
Wed Jun 4 06:43:39 PDT 2003

On 6/4/03 7:10 AM, "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
wrote:

> Does any one else have this minor problem of no start-up chime on their
> G4's? My G4 500 Mhz Sawtooth rarely boosts a start up chime, sometimes
> it works and most of the time it does not work at all? Any ideas to why
> this might be happening? Is it a low battery ,P-RAM, or maybe a
> firmware issue?

Try zapping the pram.   Mine gets really loud sometime and other other times
it goes silent.  I don't know why but zapping the pram fixes the problem

I think the correct keyword is RESETTING.  I finally found an old email
posting on zapping the pram that gave me the correct modifiers:

Restart and hold down
Option + Command + R -+ P  (note NO shift key)

and it worked perfect and the sound came back with a lower tone startup
chime.