Partially solved Re: [G4] Yikes! boot problem

diane diane at mathermotorsports.com
Sat Jun 7 13:32:14 PDT 2003

I think part of the problem was that I forgot the heat sink clip
didn't fit on this new board so I was trying to run it without a heat
sink. It got hot pretty quick. We still can't find a clip but we did
find a fan that fit right on it.

Then I found the original 8.6 G4 disk that came with the machine.
This seems to be important as the machine needs at least 8.5 and I
was using an 8.0 CD. That *finally* booted the machine, and I could
see my formatted hard drive. The drive had been formatted in the new
MDD with OS 9 drivers. It wouldn't boot the machine into OS X or OS
8.6, that I had also installed on the drive.

I reformatted the drive from the 8.6 CD and with the drive in the
Yikes! Still can't boot from it.. I have tried both Master and Cable
select on the jumper. I cannot swear I was previously able to boot
from this HD, OTOH I don't remember having an IDE drive I couldn't
boot from.

Marc, you gave me a list to do, which gave me a really interesting
"PCI Bridge" message before it went into the eternal Happy Face. This
was before we cooled the processor though. I snapped a digital pic
but don't know how well the error can be seen.

Groucho - thank you for your continued help and ideas. You are wonderful.

If anyone has more HD boot suggestions I am all ears lol. Not even
sure I can get it on the internet from the CD to update it.

BTW, the firmware is showing 1.2f2 which I believe is the most
current for the Yikes! PCI.

Thanks again,

Diane