Aha! 970's!

CJ Scaminaci halogenius at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 17:30:27 PDT 2003

Hey,

Continuing the discussion of the 970's, as pointed out by Macintosh
News Network the new 970's are rumored to be 64 bit processors. You can
find the article here: http://www.macnn.com/news/19694.  This could
mean a lot for Apple....particularly...64 bit processors would give the
average user a 2X increase in speed right off. But only for the
operating system. Applications would have to be re-written to take
advantage of of chip. Not to mention a virtually unlimited amount of
memory. Two to the 32nd power gives you about 4GB of possible physical
memory as demonstrated by our limit of the same amount. But 2 to the
64th power gives...well.....a really big number. So you would be
limited to the amount of memory you can shove down your computers
throat. Now that IBM makes the processors instead of Motorola we can
have faster speeds as well as more processors available to us. Now
imagine 64 bit 1.8Ghz machines....please excuse me while I
drool.....This is what is rumored to be on the top of the line.
Anyway...Panther is supposed to be optimized for 64 bit machines. See
this article http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1121736,00.asp. Alas
our current 32 bit processors will still run it but the 64 bit machines
would just be sweet. These machines are supposed to release in 2 weeks
at WWDC. But Panther won't ship on them. Instead they will ship with a
hybrid Jaguar that will run on 64 Bit machines. But this will only be
temporary until Panther is released and all is well in the universe.But
everything I say is based on those two links plus some other input from
other sources. So I could be wrong...

CJ