[G4] Aha! 970's!

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Tue Jun 10 20:14:47 PDT 2003

Well all of this is rumor to start with, but yes, the new 970s will
provide a much needed speed boost, but it's too simplistic to say the
the OS will get a 2x boost from a 64 bit processor. Just having a wider
data and/or address path does not automatically generate a speed boost.
Things that benefit from Altivec (aka Velocity Engine) will find gains
from the OS being optimized for 64 bit operation as well. What I am
really looking forward to is the much faster front-side bus and 8x AGP.
Memory bandwidth has been a performance damper on the Mac for a long
time and you seldom hear much about it. Between a wider bus path and
much faster bus speed, Quartz should feel much snappier. The 8x AGP
will allow the Mac to generate the kind of video frame rates that PC
users can get.
If you want a very thorough look at the 970, go to Ars Technica, Part 1
here: http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html and Part 2
here: http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/ppc970/ppc970-0.html
Hannibal does a great job and will tell you more than you probably want
to know.
Mel