PCI Modems in a G4 PCI slot? Will it work? Will it damage anything?

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 15 13:18:16 PDT 2003

I've just spent a couple of hours without finding a definitive answer for
this.

56K PCI V.90 US Robotics modems (and other brands too) seem to go for pretty
good prices on e-bay. And I'm in need of getting a new modem.  But I can't
find any information as to whether these devices will operate on my Mac.

 The particular one I'm interested in is a 56K US Robotics Sportster 2977.
It seems to be OEM equipment for ??? This apparently is not a Winmodem.

 But I can't seem to find anywhere any drivers or indeed any info as to
whether this kind of a PCI device will operate in a Mac.

In general, is it safe to plug in a PCI device in one of my PCI slots, even
if I don't know whether or not it's specifically a suited for a Mac?

Indeed, are there any PCI modems that would work in my G4/400? (Current OS
is 9.2.2 but I'm upgrading shortly). I'm specifically looking for an
internal card.

Currently I'm using a Global Village V.92 plugged into my Griffin G4Port,
and it has never been very satisfactory.

Thanks,
John