[G4] PCI Modems in a G4 PCI slot? Will it work? Will it damageanything?

M Hood mehood at mac.com
Sun Jun 15 22:42:04 PDT 2003

I can say with 90% certainty that it will not work in a Mac. One of the
reasons why they're so cheap is that they are controllerless, hence one less
part->low price. It's paid for by increased CPU utilization. I wouldn't even
put a PCI modem in my PC. I had a really nice ISA one, and my new
motherboard ASUS P4PE has no ISA slots, so it's back to the old Sportster
33.6 for backup use. (I now run a cable modem) PCI modems just suck, in my
experience. Maybe you could find a cheap USB modem instead? I hear they work
pretty good with the mac. In fact, the modem built into my girlfriend's FP
iMac is USB. Works fine.

Mark