[G4] Which PowerMac

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 19 06:21:05 PDT 2003

     If past history and the rumor mill are any indication, the first
generation 970's will be:

1. only incrementally faster than the current generation of G4's as
long as they run a 32-bit OS (Jaguar),

2. unable to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture of the 970,
unless Panther is released well before the autumn target date,

3. unable to take advantage of the possible speed boost from 64-bit
until 64-bit-savvy applications are available (hence Apple's manic
drive to get developers to the WWDC), and

4. pretty sad compared with the _following_ generation of machines.

     The best rule of thumb for buying new <any kind of computer> is,
what do you need _now_? If you need more
speed/bandwidth/storage/whatever now, buy now. If it can wait for n*
6 months, there will be a new generation of machines out every 6
months.

     Diatribes about faster internal communication, better use of DDR
memory bandwidth, 8X AGP slots, PCI-X, and other features that won't
affect real work flow significantly can be directed to /dev/null.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                              -

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA