Resolution and sleep

William Metcalfe wtmetcal at erols.com
Sat Jun 21 22:03:13 PDT 2003

G4 AGP  1GB mem Recently I upgraded the CPU from 400 to 800 from
Sonnett.
Unfortunately, at the same time I upgraded the system from OS 9.0.4 to
9.2.2. Perhaps out of fear of more upgrades, my computer no longer goes
to sleep in the regular manner. If I put the machine to sleep, it drops
off immediately; but, when I try to awaken it, it crashes. (If I set the
energy slider for 10 or 15 minutes, the computer will go to sleep on
time and will wake up when requested.) When the machine starts up, the
Greeting from Mac is about 4 times the size I prefer. It starts off at
this lower resolution and then there is a click, the screen goes grey
and then recommences to show, at the preferred resolution, the icons for
the applications that load. Another odd thing is that the folder for the
Control Panels in the Apple Menu is depicted as a page with a turned
over corner. Also, the CD burner does not work. When I attempt to start
from the CD's of DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro, the computer freezes.
I suspect something went wrong with the upgrading of the system. I have
thought about a clean install, but all of the OS upgrades were
downloaded. My son has OS 9.2.2 on a CD that came with his laptop. Could
I use that? Or could I somehow load the system that is on the desktop
onto a zip disk? And, if so, How?
Other than those problems everything seems to be working well. Maybe it
is just G5 envy.