[G4] USB-DIN adaptor cable

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Jun 23 10:12:52 PDT 2003

At 16:07 +0000 6/23/03, Douglas McCabe wrote:
>I've been given a Personal LaserWriter printer that seems in good working order except that I can't attach it to my G4 which only has USB sockets for connecting peripherals. The LaserWriter cable has an eight-pin DIN plug at one end going into a 2-socket housing at the other end, and these sockets are 3-pin DINs.  Does anyone know where I can purchase a DIN-USB adaptor cable that will allow me to hook the printer to the G4?  Would appreciate any help.  Regards.

The 8 pin MiniDIN is an RS422/RS232 "Localtalk" connector. It can be connected to any standard RS232 serial port with an appropriate cable. It can also connect to an AppleTalk cable if the printer has the right plug in board attached.

What you're probably looking for is a USB to serial adapter but the software for it is another matter.

For Ethernet you might be able to use an Asante ethernet to LocalTalk adapter.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--