[G4] USB-DIN adaptor cable

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 23 15:01:51 PDT 2003

Doug is correct. The easiest way to connect the printer up is via
ethernet, thru a pair of  LocalTalk connectors and some telephone
line to a Farallon or Asante AppleTalk to ethernet adapter. Either
connect the Farallon/Asante adapter to your Mac via crossover cable,
or via your hub or router with a regular ethernet patch cable. You
did not say which LaserWriter Select printer, which Mac or which
system. The lash up above will work with any Mac with built-in
ethernet, or an ethernet card, a LaserWriter Select 360 and the
adapter on both OS 9 and OS X. Appletalk has to be active for the
computer to talk to the printer adapter over ethernet. Avoid the
LaserWriter Select 300. Apple did no port the driver over to OS X.

FYI the 3pin DINs are the pre-USB printer cable that connected up to
a serial port. Serial port cables and LocalTalk connectors have seven
pins but fit into the same socket.

I have a LaserWriter Select 360 that I splurged and bought for $1300
in 1994, and it is still going strong... over 4500 pages per
cartridge, in Postscript level II and 10 pages per minute. It is by
far the oldest and most reliable piece of computer equipment I have
owned.

Mac G4/400, with 1 MB RAM, PowerLogix PG4-1000 accelerator card, ATI
Radeon 8500, an a bunch of other junk running on OS 10.2.6.

Regards,

Mike

--
Almost never pointless.