[G4] USB-DIN adaptor cable

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 24 15:19:22 PDT 2003

Doug, since you have a G4/400, and if you are not using the modem,
you can replace the modem with a Griffin Technologies SerialGPort.
Check out URL:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/gport/index.html

This little beast plugs into the modem socket and using it you can
connect to the printer using the existing printer cable. This is a
cheaper solution, but not for those using a built in modem.

I went the LocalTalk route because I was using an SE-30 when I bought
the printer. The SE-30 had two serial ports, but only the printer
port allowed the use of AppleTalk which was Apple's networking
protocol for years before ethernet replaced as the standard in the
first iMac. The modem port could not pass AppleTalk. So to connect
both my ColorStyleWriter 6500 and LaserWriter Select I had to put
together a simple LocalTalk network. The LocalTalk connectors are
cheap, and there are lots of them laying around in parts boxes.

Regards,

Mike

--
Almost never pointless.