[G4] Does Apple Lie about the G5?

Ron gMedia.DV at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 13:48:17 PDT 2003

>From another list:

"I've been at Apple's developer conference and had a chance to install and
try out After Effects on a new G5.

I ran the Night Flight file that has come to be the standard for AE
benchmarking.  Since I didn't want to sit there and watch it render for
hours, I ran just the first 10 interlaced frames from the project's
pre-set render queue...

Here are my results for this test on the three computers I have available
to me:

1 x 1.0 GHz G4 PowerBook 17" - ~30 minutes (3 min/frame)

2 x 2.66 GHz Pentium Xeon from Boxx - 11 min, 39 sec (1.2 min/frame)

2 x 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 - 6 min, 1 sec (0.6 min/frame)

I ran the Xeon test on a couple different identical machines to make sure
mine wasn't just running slowly, but got identical results."