[G4] LCD Monitor Question

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 23:20:57 PDT 2003

The best protection is the complete unplugging of your entire system during
electrical storm activity.

Unless you have been extremely dedicated to safety, you probably only have a
"normal" protection surge protector installed in your set-up. That "normal"
surge protector WILL NOT provide enough protection against a lightning strike
and the accompanying voltage/amperage. It most likely cost you less than $40.00
at your local market place.

A single lightning strike to your local electrical supply system can deliver
enough power to pass completely through a "normal" surge protector before it
is able to detect the spike and protect your equipment by disconnecting itself
from the circuit.

I discovered that the cost of proctection sufficient to guarantee that my
equipment would not get fried by a lightning strike was going to be in excess of
$500.00. That was enough to convince me to unplug the equipment during periods
of storm activity instead of leaving the plug connected and turning off
everything at the surge protector.

A UPS unit will usually do nothing to protect against spikes. It is designed
to charge an internal battery and switch to that battery power in the event of
a failure in your local electrical supply. That will allow you the time to
keep running while you save your data and shut down your system in the normal
fashion.

They are good to have if your local electrical system is subject to frequent
brown- and black-outs. It can save your bacon if you have the power to run
when everything else is shut down. Most UPS units have a minutes/devices rating
and I suggest you get the highest rating you can afford.