[G4] Error of type -127

June Parlett jparlett at gte.net
Sat Mar 1 20:58:17 PST 2003

Well I got my FireLite  20 GB HardDrive, and it is only firewire
compatible. My iMac is not. My iMac is in trouble, not the G4. So much
for the idea to connect the other 20 GB drive to the iMac. Now I really
feel stupid, because I realize that there are somethings that I can
understand and do, but I need help understanding the HardDrive issue.
#1 Since I realized that I didn't have a compatible external Hard drive
for the iMac for which I wish to save my priceless files, I thought I
could acquire a USB Harddrive. I couldn't connect via File sharing
because the extensions are turned off on the iMac. I wanted to try to
save the files before zaping the PRAM.
I used my NAPP corporate discount on PC MALL to check on USB external
harddrives. Has something changed in the pricing recently?
#2. Please excuse me but I do not understand how to format any external
HARD Drive. The instructions for the FireLite, read quite easily,
insert FireLite installation CD into CD-Rom drive. Install, and Connect
one end of the Firewire cable to an open firewire port on the computer.
Connect the other end of the cable to the Firewire port on the Fire
Lite. Is this the type of HD that is not formattable with a System
Folder? and the Ones that I have been looking at on the PC Mall Site
cost $161-$300, depending on their capacity, are these the ones that
can be formatted with a system Folder. Do I have to go about the
process of Formatting it like I would for an internal HDD? Please,
advise as this is new territory for me. I could spring for a USB HDD
Iomega 80 Harddrive for $184 or a 20 GB Harddrive for $161. Are the
more expensive ones the ones that can be formated with a valid OS 9.2.2
System Folder, and the FireLite 20 HardDrive cannot?  I don't know.
Well I am going to connect it up, and if it can be formatted let me
know and I'll do that, for backup for my G4. But it will not help out
with the iMac problem unfortunately at the moment.
#3 I am trying to recover the data from the iMac. Would it be possible
to purchase a Firewire pci card for the iMac, so I could use this
Harddrive? I do have a Zip drive as well that is USB, and I have a La
Cie CD Writer, but it is my understanding that they won't work with
extensions off. I also tried to connect to the internet with the
extensions off, that was a fiasco. It started to install IE and
crashed. OH my. OK, I now know I shouldn't have tried to do that.
Advise me, before I zap that damn PRAM
I still don't understand how Zapping the Pram will fix anything. If you
think otherwise, clue me in.
June