[G4] Error of type -127

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Sat Mar 1 22:54:54 PST 2003

June,

It's been a while since I've worked with system 8 but I think we can
get you through it. A -127 Error = fsDSIntErr internal file system
error. One or more of your extensions has been corrupted. Boot up with
extensions off. Once you've booted, go to the Apple menu and select
control panels. Open the Extension Manager. At the top of the Ext.
Manager window there should be a box next to Selected set. In that box
select OS 8.6 Base Set. Restart your computer. If the computer boots
properly, you should be able to boot the G4 in 9.2 and back up your
files to it. Once you've backed up your files, I'd recommend you
reformat your hard drive and do a Clean System Install.

If it doesn't boot properly, find your system installer disk and
restart while holding down the C key, you'll boot from the CD instead
of your hard drive. Once you've booted from the CD, run disk first aid,
it's in the Utilities Folder. See if it can repair the damage to your
files.

If that doesn't get you up and running, boot up from the CD again. This
time run Apple Software Restore.You'll have the option to restore in
place, use it. It will replace the OS and any software that came with
your computer but leave your other files alone.

Once you get your system running, back up those files immediately.

HTH

Ralph