[G4] interesting lock-up problem...

Crazy Miz B of the Crazed Cowboys and Miz B's Porch paula at crazedcowboys.com
Sun Mar 2 09:17:21 PST 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Snoke Jay S NPRI wrote:

> 	I usually have Outlook running (under OS 9.2.2) while running X.2.4
> (I keep up to date) for all my other applications.  If iTunes is
> running, and setiathome kicks in, my Mac locks up.  I may or may not
> have a browser running (but usually Explorer).

Snorksvillanio and other Maccers:

This occurs for me occasionally when and only when I'm real busy in X
with several apps, but have 9 on for one thing or another that I can't
yet afford new upgrade on yet (o alas, too many, woe is me...) and I
forget it's even there.

I think it's a plain and simple crash like in the old pre-Unix
days--when I overloaded 8.6. I feel like it forgets about being in X
and 9 feels all wimpy and unloved, and it decides to stage a little
fainting scene, and while X still shows on the surface, underneath 9
has walked offstage and the play is over.

X just doesn't realize it yet, so it looks fine but does nothing. For X
it's as if it's in a bad nightmare, and it is on stage, but can't speak
because it doesn't know the lines, or is naked at school about to take
a test on a subject it has never learned...so it freezes in fright.

But maybe that's just MY 9/X.2.4. I dunno. It can also twirl a hula
hoop WHEN 9 isn't running.

As for setiathome--I'm mean and grumpy and I don't know what it is.
Maybe if I DID have setiathome----I'd be a happier and more jovial
person. At least maybe I could JOKE once in a while, or lighten up.

But probably not. I'd just find something else to moan about.

But I DO believe that my explanation is true. And that's all I have to
say about that.

Miz B
http://www.crazedcowboys.com

"Man alive, her site is really badly made--it sucks, in fact --but it
is kinda funny...and clearly she has a heart of gold..."
    --overheard on another tech list (anonymous)