ATA/133 card advice

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Tue Mar 4 02:28:20 PST 2003

>i LOVE my sonnet tempo 133 card.... it's light years ahead of the onboard
>ide, (and it allows me to not worry about my b&w g3's (now g4/550) ide
>issues.  it took my 200G harddisk without a blink.

I'm also thinking of getting an ATA/133 card for my G4 Sawtooth, as
I'd like to install 2 x Western Digital 8MB cache drives (1 x 80GB, 1
x 40GB) on separate buses (busses?), and leave the original 20GB on
the computer bus as the startup disk. Got a good price on the drives,
so why not...

Anyway, I think I remember reading that most of the ATA/133 cards
were made by the same manufacturer, then rebadged as Sonnet, SIIG,
etc.
Might have been a Macworld article, and IIRC, Macworld concluded that
as the cards were essentially the same, the only differences were
Warranty, Documentation and maybe extras, like cables. They concluded
that the SIIG was the best deal, as it had a 5-year warranty. Nice.
I also noticed at OWC <www.macsales.com> that the SIIG ATA/133 is a
relatively bargain priced $79. Double nice.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the SIIG ATA/133 card?

Any known problems with: 1) XLR8 G4/550 upgrade, 2) Nvidia Geforce4
MX video card, 3) OS 9.x or 10.1.5?

Thanks,

Chris