CPU Stability Testers?

Gene Huh gshuh at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 12:55:55 PST 2003

Hello all,

I've got a beige G3/275 overclocked to 300MHz, and although it seems
stable (it runs OS X 10.2 just fine), I'd like to carry out a more
rigorous test to verify the absence of any cryptic errors.

I was wondering if there were any software utilities that will
rigorously test a G3 or G4 CPU's performance.

I have noticed that, on the wintel 'dark side,' that a number of such
apps are available.  Prime95, in particular, has a "torture test"
mode that exits with an error if a miscalculation fault occurs.
There is a similar app for OS X (Glucas), but I have not been able to
run it successfully (nor do I know if it has a test mode).

On the Mac side, are there any G3/G4 stress-test apps for OS 9/X?  I
know there's a bunch of memory testers (like Gauge Pro and the like),
but I've looked all over (unsuccessfully) for one that specifically
exercises all aspects of a PowerPC CPU.

Thanks in advance,
Gene (digest mode)