[G4] Step by step update to Jaguar, please.

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 13:00:50 PST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 08:35 US/Central, James Asherman wrote:

>> You don't need QT Pro 6 to edit in FCP 3.
>
> But you DO need FCP3 to edit in X and once you do the jaguar dance you
> are going to be QT6 right?
>

> It does if you want those important functions.

Yes, you need FCP 3 to edit in X/ Jaguar, and yes, if you upgrade to
Jaguar you will have QT 6, but there are no functions in QT 6 (or QT
Pro 6) necessary for editing in FCP 3.

> That's Mpeg2.
> iDVD will not let you see any Mpeg2 files.

Correct, I meant to write MPG-2, not JPG-2, early morning brain fart.
You can "see" MPG-2 files in QT as long as a compatible codec was used.
What DVD Studio Pro adds to QT 6 is the ability to export MPG-2 files
from QT (without using DVD SP). iDVD converts DV files to the MPG-2
format so they can be burned to a DVD, QT should be able to export
MPG-2 files without spending $1000 for DVD Studio Pro.

Ralph