Three monitor Finder oddity

Darin Ames darinames at crooner.com
Fri Mar 7 10:29:21 PST 2003

Hello, folks.

This one is definitely for the bizarro files... I *really* could use some
feedback on this one.

Allow me to explain...

My setup:

QuickSilver Dual 1Ghz
Mac OS X 10.2.4
Nvidia G-Force4 MX
1.5 GB RAM
Blah blah blah

Three display setup, Left to Right:

Left:
SGI 1600SW 17" wide screen connected to the G-Force4 MX's VGA port via an
SGI MultiLink adapter. 1600x1024

center:
22" Apple Cinema Display connected to ADC port. 1600x1024

Right:
Second SGI 1600SW 17" wide screen connected to a Formac Proformance 3 video
card that shipped with the display. (It shares the same deviant digital
connector as the display) This card has been flashed to the last posted
firmware (2.6.4). (This was a must as the earlier firmware prevented
booting) There is no MultiLink adapter present for this display.

Now for the weird stuff. After flashing the Proformance 3 and managing to
boot into 10.2.4 I found that only half of the right most SGI display can be
used as actual real estate in the Finder. If you were to draw a vertical
line down the middle of the screen, the right side is like a "Forbidden
Zone" for any icon placement or clicking on the desktop. Attempting to drop
an icon in this area results in the icon zooming back to its original
position. Clicking in the area's desktop results only in the alert sound
chiming in.

Windows, both Finder and application, CAN be placed in the Forbidden Zone,
however.

To test this oddity and try to discern if the SGI/Formac combo was the
culprit, I rearranged the order of the displays in the System Preferences.
With the Cinema set as the right most display and the SGI/Formac display set
to center resulted in the Forbidden Zone on the Cinema, (again, exactly half
way through) and the SGI/Formac allowed full screen and desktop use.

No matter what I tried, this mysterious Zone is ever present on the right
most part of the full, multi monitor display.

Please note that this issue DOES NOT occur when booted into Mac OS 9! Only
Mac OS X.

I hope I've explained this in a manner that is easily understood. I am at a
loss to figure out why this is occurring. Can anyone offer any ideas,
theories, solutions?

Thanks a million,

Darin Ames