[G4] Shut Down/Restart Preference File

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Tue Mar 11 07:52:26 PST 2003

On 3/11/03 6:47 AM, "Richard Kriss" <kriss at qsl.net> wrote:

> I am having trouble getting my G4-450 running OS 10.2.2 to really shut
> down.  If I use the Log Out command (under the Apple menu), it does its
> thing and then presents me with options to restart or shut down. When I
> click on shut down, it shuts down then after few seconds restarts.  I tried
> using the Shut Down button under the Apple menu and it does the same thing.
>
> I suspect a bad preference file and wonder if trashing such an item may
> help.  Anybody know the name of a preference file that may be causing the
> automatic restarts?
>
> Dick

I did a quick search of the Apple discussion board.

1) Someone had the same problem and solved it by deleting some prefs.  But
he forgot which ones.  And he wishes he remembered which ones, because the
problem is back.

2) From another person (I looked for the Knowledgebase article to which he
referred, but I couldn't find it):

   RE: Mac OS X won't shut down - David Gardner5
   (Posted 12:37pm Mar 1, 2003 CST)

   I had the problem where my G4 933 would restart after every shutdown.
   I found an apple article that referred to USB Epson printers. The article
   stated that if the printer is left on at shutdown, the computer would
   restart automatically. Just turning off the printer has fixed the
   problem. This was the case with OS 10.1 thru 10.2.4. Hope this helps.