[G4] Apple RAM or Third Party RAM?

RedEclipseTurbo GeForce3 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 05:02:01 PST 2003

You could temporarily remove the extra ram for a few days to see if the
issue continues. I've also had really good luck with catching flaky ram
using a program set called "gauges" that had a small application called
RAMometer. Strangely this little program has served well to locate ram
that was good enough to pass the hardware startup test on the mac while
defective enough to crash several customer macs (and PC's!). TechTool
also has a ram tester in it but it never seems to be as accurate in
locating trouble for me.

I also had an issue on my last Power mac G4 where I had an older CD-ROM
burner plugged into the pass through port of the power supply where a
normal person would plug in a monitor. Well I was getting random
lockups, kernal panics, and RAM errors even with the drive powered down
and SCSI cable unplugged. It turns out that the power supply in the
SCSI CD-rom burner was very shaky and as soon as it was removed
completely the mac never ran better!

Strange stuff indeed.

Chris
RedEclipseTurbo