[G4] Apple RAM or Third Party RAM?

SnowWhite jj4 at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 13 05:44:06 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 07:08  AM, Power Macintosh G4 List
wrote:

> Anne wrote
>
> "Do you all buy Apple RAM or third-party RAM? Reason I ask is Apple
> has suggested some OSX flakiness may be due to the RAM that came
> with the machine (free 128 MB RAM deal from Macwarehouse).
>
> Most likely it is the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card or the USB hub, but I'm
> just wondering what you all recommend - buy only Apple RAM?

> I haven't been in OS X much yet so I can't really tell what is
> going on, even as to frequency of the phenomenon because I've
> only booted into X maybe five times and been on it about an
> hour and a half each time. It is OSX.1 and I am going to upgrade
> it to Jaguar this week so maybe the flakiness will go away."

Buy your ram from someone with a return policy to your liking-that will
accept returns due to unknown incompatabilities, etc. Apple Ram seems
to be a bit steep compared to OWC or Macsolutions or nearly any other
big Ram seller.

Some things that help OSX alot after install- use Pacifist to redo the
pre-binding after you install the OS and programs. Use DiskWarrior to
check the disk directly after new install and use Nortons to Optimize
the disk. It seems that OSX is really messy when you install it and all
of these measures help clean it up. More speed and more stability.

jj