[G4] Best way to install OS 10.2

John S. Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 15:25:26 PST 2003

On 3/13/03, you wrote:

> I just received OS X 10.2 in the mail yesterday and am wondering what is
> the best way to install it as the documentation that came with it and
> the Read Before Installing PDF file give very little help. I can either
> install it over 10.1.5 keeping my added software in place or install it
> on an erased second internal drive and then hope I have all the
> installers and registration codes available to add the other software on
> to that drive.

Before installing, run Disk Utility (from the install CD) and check the
disk. Then repair permissions. Then do an Archive & Install installation
over 10.1.5 (see <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120>),
preserving your user and network settings.

> One other thing, is the BSD system automatically installed or do you
> have to do it separately? I noticed a BSD package file on the install CD
> and am wondering.

AFAIK, the BSD system is installed automatically.

HTH