[G4] SCSI RAID for dummies?

Marc Maderi marc.maderi at urbanet.ch
Thu Mar 13 16:06:20 PST 2003

To answer the original questions:

As long as you plan to use software raid then you do not need the "raid card".
I use for my raids FWB software raid (even if not the fastest and not
yet OS X compatible, but at the time of choice it was the best option
for me...)

Regarding cabling and terminaisons: yes you need the appropriate
cabling with ACTIVE terminators.
The lenght is and number of connector depands on how many HD you plan
to put in your case... Remember that the longest the cable the more
stuff you will have to have to fit into your computer case and the
moire stuff you have the less air flow you can get...
I have my self 2 seagate inside the case with 2 5 connectors +
terminator U160 ribbon cable. I used "gaffer" tape  arround the
ribbon cables to prevent them from melting.
I had such a ribbon cable melt inside the case and I had to replace it...

For the best performances a dual channel card is the best option,
then connect each HD according to your raid set up. For a raid 0 with
2 drive = 1 HD per channel.
By doing so I get over 90 MB/s with only 2 HDs.
--
Marc Maderi

G4 500/1280MB/SCSI Powerdomain 39160 (twice), 2930CU, 358 GB.